Divorce cases are never simple. Even when a couple agrees to handle things amicably, emotions often take over once attorneys are involved and child custody comes up for discussion. You will want the best divorce lawyer in Reno you can find if you are going through this process. Here are five qualities to look for in a divorce attorney.
- An even temper. In cases where tempers run high, you’ll want an attorney who will stay at an even keel. This ability to stay cool comes in handy in every aspect of the proceedings. When a lawyer allows the particulars of a case to upset his or her mood, it could end up worsening your chances of winning.
- A realistic viewpoint. A qualified divorce lawyer will make it clear when you have an uphill battle. There are standards in place for custody, spousal payments and other aspects of divorce cases. Don’t allow an attorney to tell you there is a chance you can get everything you want when you have a suspicion it won’t happen. You need a realistic lawyer who explains the situation clearly and does not make empty promises.
- Qualified support staff. It is common for an attorney to delegate work to support staff during a case, so make sure you are comfortable with the team you may be dealing with at different points of the process. Ask to meet the support team so you feel comfortable sharing the private details of your life.
- Experience. In divorce work, attorneys need to prove a party’s right to child custody and alimony, among other things. Experience in the field allows a lawyer to navigate each part of the case comfortably. For Reno residents, knowledge of local attorneys and judges allows your attorney to hone the case with past efforts in mind.
- A clear fee structure. Always know what you are going to pay before you start your case. Hourly rates can allow an attorney to run up the bill while the support team searches for documents and other information. Flat fees may be your best bet if you are sure the attorney has a strong reputation in the community. Otherwise, you may end up with a huge bill.
If you’re looking for the best divorce lawyer in Nevada, contact the law offices of Ken McKenna. Ken McKenna is a highly sought after, experienced and reputable divorce attorney in Nevada whom you want to legally represent you. For further information or to schedule an appointment please contact us at 775.329.6373 or visit www.KenMckenna.com.